Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Labour Day Long Weekend at the Lake

Most people that know me know that I am NEVER EVER available to hang out September Long weekend... why?  Because I am always at the lake for a family gathering.  This year marked 30 years that I've gone (at least I can't remember a time that I haven't gone).

John and I had every intention of leaving the city around noon on Friday (I convinced him to take the day off just for this) but there was a lot of running around that he had to do that morning (plus washing his boat for any invasive species that the boat might have picked up in the Winnipeg River system).  I think we ended up leaving around 1:30.... getting there around 5 which is slightly later than what it normally would have taken us because we had to drive the first hour or so on the highway at about 70km/hour because of a massive downpour (I'm talking everyone pulling over to the side of the road kind of downpour).

But we got there and checked into our cabin that we were sharing with my cousin, sister, and brother in law (and 2 dogs).  
When we got there it wasn't raining so I showed him the sights and we sat down to a delicious dinner of soup and pizza buns.

The weekend didn't have great weather but our cabin managed to squeeze in as many activities as possible!

Saturday afternoon we decided to attempt a 13km hike.  We starting at the top and were working our way down... we thought the fog was lifting as we continued on the hike but on our way back we realized that wasn't the case... because we were right back in the thick of the fog.  Our faithful leader to keep the bears way was one dog and the other one was somewhere near the back.

Still all smiles because at this point we likely aren't even halfway through

It's hard to tell in the pictures but there was often a pretty steep drop off to one side of the path
(don't worry.. we all made it out of the hiking trail relatively unscathed).

Lots of going down and some going up.  I am likely the shortest one in this hiking group and here I appear to be some kind of giant.

We walked along the road back in hopes that it wouldn't take so long and we would make it back in time to get things ready for dinner (because we eat it all together... about 30 or so of us this year).  On the way back it was about 95% uphill and I was feeling it in my back for a couple of days!

But here we are (well I'm behind the camera) exhausted from our long walk!
"Look exhausted everyone"
"So we'll just look like ourselves?"

Saturday evening after we were all showered we all decided that we definitely deserved an evening in with some movies... so we set up a laptop and watched a movie and ate snacks.  
I fell asleep.

Sunday morning we went with my parents to the bison enclosure and we just so happened to go at the exact right time to see a bunch of bison!
(there were a lot more than I managed to capture with my camera)

My mom says that we had been here before... I just don't have much memory of it.
(as in I have no memory at all of it)

When we turned around to head back the same way we went in (maybe about 20 minutes later) there were no bison to be seen at all!... which is why I say that we went at the right time.

Later Sunday afternoon we were debating on going to watch the Bomber game at a local restaurant or taking the boat out.  
We decided on the boat option because John had pulled it all the way from the city!
(this ended up being the better option because the Bombers ended up losing anyways)
So we all changed into our Bomber gear (well everyone but John who apparently doesn't have any!) and headed for the public boat launch.

We had been pre warned that they were doing inspections for invasive species (like zebra mussels) but because John had already washed his boat we thought we would be free and clear to head out.

Unfortunately, because his boat had been in the Winnipeg River system we weren't so free and clear as we had thought we would be.

Here his boat and trailer are being steamed cleaned just in case (about a 30 minute job).
Luckily, they do this for free so that people don't lie about having used their boats in different waters

It looks like a beautiful day but the waves were a little large and we all got pretty wet on the boat ride back to the docks.
Luckily, I had decided to bring a bunch of extra towels from the cabin and a blanket of mine 
(I hid under the blanket for the majority of the bumpy ride back)

My job before a boat ride is to be in the boat and drive it towards the dock and then hold on until John comes back... I'm still working on doing a decent job of all of this.

My job for after the boat ride is to pull the boat our of the water which is what I am about to do here...
I was a little nervous because you launch and pull the boat out of the water on sand here and I didn't know how that would work for traction... after a few attempts I managed to get it out.

Monday morning John went out and bought cinnamon buns for our cabin at the local bakery (because what's a trip to the lake without some delicious cinnamon buns?) and then after breakfast people started to pack up and leave.

John and I took one last stroll around the place and left around noon.

People would ask me what the highlight of my summer was and I always told them that I didn't think it had happened yet... because I knew September Long would be great.  

And it was!

It doesn't matter what the weather is like when you are surrounded by great people (and great food).

Hope everyone's long weekend was as fantastic as mine!

No comments: