Wednesday 13 January 2016

Snickerdoodle Cookies

52 Weeks of Cookies:  Week 28


I've always thought these were an oddly named cookie and as far as I can recall I've never had one of these oddly named cookies.  Then on Saturday (yes, I made these on Saturday and only got around to posting about these today - shame on me) I was going over to a friends for a girl's night and wanted to bring some fresh baked cookies... and so that is the story of my Snickerdoodle Cookies.

Confession:  I get all my recipes from an app.  I'm assuming it is basically Pinterest and I should really just get a Pinterest.... I'm not even sure why I don't have one.  Anywho, I can usually do a Google image search to find the exact recipe that this person gave no mention to on the app (shame on them) but alas, today I was not able to locate the right image and although looking through a bunch of Snickerdoodle recipes to find the exact one I used sounds riveting... I'm just going to post what I did down below (but if anyone ever finds this recipe on the interwebs they can feel free to let me know and I will link to it because someone other than me deserves the credit!).

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar (+1/4 cup for cinnamon sugar mixture)
1 T cinnamon
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 eggs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon in a small fish.  Set it aside.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.

Cream together butter, shortening, and remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar for about 3-6 minutes or until light and fluffy.  Add in eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.

Slowly add the dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until dough just comes together.

Scoop out about 2 T of dough and roll into a ball.  Roll in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes.  Cookies may look uncooked but will set as they cool.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies

Alrighty folks, I didn't change much with this one.  In fact I believe the only thing I did change was that I put the dough in the fridge for a few hours because I made the dough in the morning but wasn't getting together with my friends until the evening.  When I did bake them they made the place small like mini doughnuts.  It was delightful.

My verdict?  They were scrumptious!  You should definitely try them! 10/10

Last week I made some Almond Cookies that I've since dubbed Medicine Cookies... you'll understand why if you follow the original recipe but I give some tips on how that original recipe could be improved upon.

No comments: