Tuesday 26 December 2017

John's Christmas Present

I always have a pretty long list of things that John might want for Christmas (what can I say... I'm pretty good at remembering things he mentions/knowing what he needs). This year I decided to fix up his office for part of his present.

John's office - before


John's office - before

Since it's the smallest bedroom upstairs I'm fairly certain it will remain an office for a while so I figured it was pretty safe to redo. So the last day before his Christmas break I had a friend come over and help me with the project... and we got it all done while he was at work.

Luckily for us I had somehow convinced John that we should FINALLY finish painting the ceilings upstairs... and since we would be emptying out the rooms to paint the ceilings I also convinced him we should paint the walls while we are at it. This meant that the bulk of the hard work was already done.

New furniture wasn't in the budget so I had to work with what he already had in there. This meant that pretty well all the furniture that was already in there was going to stay in there. I did come up with a plan while he was away for work a week in November for how I thought his office could be arranged differently though.




He has a couple of newspaper clippings that he's saved for years... one was in a slightly damaged frame so I bought 2 of the cheapest frames from Michaels (using 50% off coupons of course). They were meant for a certain size of poster and the newspaper clipping didn't fill up the entire frame... but I wasn't going to pay for a mat on it so instead I turned the paper that came with the frame so that the white side was facing outwards to use as a mat... worked pretty well if you ask me!

John also had this slightly 3D picture of a hockey player (it's the middle picture in the line up of 3) that I had to figure out. I went to Michaels to ask about a frame for that but the frames that have enough space in them to accommodate something 3D like this were kind of expensive (and also not quite the right size) so after much contemplation I opted for just putting a nail in the wall and not using a frame for it at all (see the final pictures at the end of the post).

The wall colour. 

Below are some of the options I was debating on to paint one of the walls in his office... in the end I decided to paint all the walls a neutral colour and use some coloured curtains instead.



So I found the nicest curtain rod I could for an inexpensive price ($14 at Canadian Tire) and some inexpensive but still nice curtains from Walmart. Since his favourite team is the Washington Capitals (and he has a bit of stuff to do with that team) I wanted some of the accent colours to be either red or blue (hence me debating on blue as the wall colour). Which is why I opted for blue and white curtains.

The last thing I added to the room was a couple of floating shelves. This way he would have somewhere to show off some of his "toys", somewhere to put pictures, or just extra space to put something one day. I bought them at Jysk a while ago when they were on sale. I really wanted one large one (which is the size I ended up buying) and one that was the size down from this but they were 2 different shades of white which I didn't like so instead I got 2 of the larger sizes.

We also hung up his whiteboard so it's no longer sitting on the floor (and I guess if John wants to put it back on the floor he can).

I must say the finished product... is not too bad... and we got it all done in the span of 4 hours (while John was at work for the morning)



I also decorated his office door to be more present like


John's office - after
New curtains, pictures hung, brown chair added, and switched out his Winnie the Pooh lamp for something smaller and more neutral.


John's office - after. Pennants displayed, floating shelves installed, whiteboard hung (with festive message), Christmas tree added, and desk moved from corner to the longest wall.












No comments: